The collections

From Belmont to Fort Donelson (winter 1861-1862)

In the Western theater of operations - in other words, in the area between the Appalachians and the Mississippi - there was no indication that the Union's strategy, cautious even cautious, would experience such dazzling success as of the first months of the year 1862. And even less that it would be a former resigning officer, become alcoholic after having missed his reconversion in the civil, which was going to be the main project manager. Yet these were indeed decisive victories for the North a certain Grant was to achieve in February 1862.

An improbable winner

Hiram Ulysses Grant was born in Ohio in 1822. Although he had no interest in the profession of arms, he was sent by his parents to West Point Military Academy in 1839. Wrongly listed as ’Ulysses Simpson Grant, it will keep this name thereafter. When he left in 1843, he was directed to an administrative post. This position, as well as his distaste for war, did not prevent him from serving with distinction in Mexico, gaining two patent promotions during the conflict. But in 1854, he was implicated by another officer who claimed to have caught him while intoxicated, and Grant abruptly preferred to resign rather than risk court martial.

Grant then tried his hand at various activities, including farming in Missouri - he even owned a slave there - but without much success, so much so that he ended up being hired in his father's tannery for lack of anything better. One of the reasons for his chronic failures was his penchant for alcohol. Although the public rumor and then the legend seem to have greatly exaggerated the real scope of Grant's alcoholism, the fact that he did not always bother to conceal his condition when he was drunk was enough to precede it by 'a disastrous reputation.

Everything changed in 1861 when the civil war broke out. Although his requests to return to service had been ignored by the military, Grant would have more success with the governor of Illinois, where he resides. His experience in the military administration will prove invaluable in organizing the contingent of volunteers that Illinois must provide to the federal military. In June 1861, he was finally appointed colonel of the 21th Illinois Regiment, and was tasked with ensuring the safety of the railway line between Hannibal and St. Joseph's in northern Missouri. The following August, Grant was placed at the head of the Cairo military district. Shortly after leaving Missouri, the Platte River railroad bridge was to become the subject of one of the first guerrilla operations in the region, killing about 20 people when it collapsed, sabotaged, in the process. of a train.

Grant’s command was far from trivial. Cairo, at the southern end of Illinois, was a modest town. But the city was located at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio, which gave it a strategic position of the utmost importance for the control of these two rivers. It was Grant who on September 6, 1861, occupied Paducah, at the confluence of the Ohio and Tennessee, in response to the southerners' violation of Kentucky neutrality. During the following months, significant forces were concentrated in Cairo for future offensives by river, and entrusted to Grant.

Map of the western end of Kentucky, annotated by the author.

The Battle of Belmont

In early November 1861, General John C. Frémont was relieved of his command of the Missouri Military Department. His successor, Henry halleck, would be tasked with coordinating the action of the dispersed northern armies from Paducah to Kansas. Cautious, even timid by nature, Halleck was considered more of a theoretician than a man of the field. On the other hand, he had a real talent for staff matters, and was going to excel in the management of the army - which, taking into account the enormous effort to be provided in this field and in particular in terms of logistics, was to prove invaluable during the course of the war.

Just before he was sacked, one of Frémont’s last acts was to order Grant to threaten Columbus, in Kentucky. The purpose of the maneuver was to force the Confederates to maintain troops in the region, thus preventing them from sending reinforcements to other theaters of operations, and particularly in southwestern Missouri, where the Federals had come from. resume Springfield. Grant first sent a detachment under Colonel Oglesby's orders to demonstrate in Missouri, but when it turned out that the Confederates had sent troops to meet him, the Northerner general had to reconsider his strategy.

Columbus was far from a target to be taken lightly. Since his occupation in September, the southern general Leonidas Polk There were about 5,000 well entrenched men there. Polk, a wealthy Tennessee planter who owned several hundred slaves, was also a bishop in the Episcopal Church, earning him his nickname of Fighting Bishop, "The fighting bishop". His main focus was on fortifying Columbus, which was on the east bank of the Mississippi, to block the flow of the river. About 140 heavy guns pointed straight at the stream, and Polk, for good measure, had a huge chain forged nearly 800 meters long and stretched across the Mississippi.

Grant understood that Columbus was inaccessible to him by river, given the still very limited means at his disposal. Rather than risk a frontal attack, he ordered Charles Ferguson Smith to move his troops, based at Paducah, southwest in order to threaten Columbus by land. During this time, he would be transported by boat to Belmont, a small hamlet located in Missouri, just across from Columbus. Thus, he could both cover Oglesby's men, venturing farther west, and destroy the siege gun battery the Confederates had stationed at Belmont without risking facing the entire Columbus garrison.

Grant embarked about 3,000 men on six transport ships, accompanied by two wooden gunboats, the USS Tyler and the USS Lexington. These were originally just civilian paddle-wheel ships, but once purchased and armed by the U.S. Navy, they received additional protection consisting of thick wooden planks. They were thus nicknamed timberclads, pun formed on timber (cut timber) and ironclad, the term used at the time to refer to an armored warship. Grant's force consisted of five regiments organized into two brigades, commanded respectively by John McClernand and Henry Dougherty, two companies of cavalry, and a field artillery battery.

A decisive experience

When she sailed from Cairo on November 6, this force did not go unnoticed, and Polk was soon informed. However, he considered this operation to be a sham, and did not immediately strengthen his positions at Belmont. The latter were still only defended by an infantry regiment, a cavalry battalion and a field battery under Colonel James Tappan. It was only when he learned that the Federals had started to land near Belmont, around 8 a.m. on November 7, 1861, that he decided to send reinforcements there - four regiments from Tennessee - commanded by his subordinate, General Gideon Pillow. At the end of an hour, the Southerners lined up facing Grant about 2,700 soldiers.

As Grant charged his forward elements to reconnoitre the terrain, the two northern gunboats brazenly approached the Confederate batteries of Columbus. The exchange of fire which followed was unsuccessful: the inexperienced southern artillerymen landed only one hit on the Tyler, a full cannonball that killed a sailor but did not damage the ship. The Northerners, for their part, could not reach the enemy guns, located too high on the escarpments overlooking the Mississippi. In all, the Union gunboats made three round trips, in an attempt to prevent the southern heavy guns from supporting Belmont's defenders. Either way, the width of the river and the height of the trees on the other bank obscured the Federal troops from the Southerners, rendering their fire completely indiscriminate and essentially ineffective.

The battle began on a wooded lot where open spaces were scarce and limited to a few cultivated fields. The thick swampy undergrowth made progress difficult, especially for the artillery. Deployed as skirmishers, northern infantry and cavalry slowly pushed back their southern counterparts for most of the morning as Grant deployed his forces in the line of battle. Pillow, an incompetent officer who owed above all to his connections with the Democratic Party for having been appointed general, had made the mistake of establishing his main line of defense not on the edge of a wood, but in the middle of a field. His men would find themselves exposed to fire from an enemy who himself could take advantage of the undergrowth.

Yet the battle was not over. When the northern regiments emerged into the field, they were greeted by a hail of bullets and grape-shot which forced them to seek cover in the thickets. Grant spared no efforts to rally them, losing in the process a horse killed under him. The general and his officers managed to re-establish the Northerner forces to a fairly secure position, protected from enemy fire by the thick vegetation. Losing patience and fearing that he would run out of ammunition, Pillow then sent his troops forward, into abayonet charge destined to end it. The Southerners managed to push through the center of the Union, but the Federals quickly regrouped to counterattack, pushing their enemies back to their starting positions.

Around noon, the Northern artillery was finally on the job, and began to shell its Southern counterpart. The exchange lasted until the Confederate artillerymen, out of ammunition, do not withdraw. The Federals then targeted the enemy infantry. Exhausted and deprived of support, she soon lost her footing and ebbed back in disorder towards Belmont. The Confederates pulled themselves together once in the shelter of their camp, but the northern guns quickly overcame their will to resist: they dispersed, leaving in the hands of their adversaries two guns and a hundred prisoners.

The first phase of the battle, from the northern landing to the capture of the camp. Map accompanying General Grant's official report, annotated by the author. NB: on this map and the next, North is on the left.

Profitable lessons

Grant's soldiers then reached a critical threshold which failed to turn their victory into disaster. The soldiers broke ranks to loot the camp, especially for food, while the officers seemed more concerned with giving solemnity to the moment than maintaining discipline. McClernand, an ambitious Illinois politician who already saw himself leading an army, even improvised a speech, amid cheers and patriotic airs. As Grant himself would later write, his men were like "demoralized by their victory ».

On the other side of the Mississippi, Polk didn't realize the gravity of the situation until the Federals rushed into the camp. He immediately dispatched other reinforcements at Belmont: four regiments and one infantry battalion, under Colonels Samuel Marks and Benjamin Cheatham. As for the Confederate river batteries, hitherto blind, they were able to bombard the open space represented by the looted camp at leisure. Grant then set fire to the latter, inadvertently signing the death warrant for a few wounded southerners forgotten in their tents. Their ranks reformed, the Northerners turned around to join their transport ships.

Cheatham pursued the Northerners as Marks tried to cut them off, managing to attack their right flank. A first attack ended up routing Dougherty's brigade when the Southerners charged. The rest of the Northerner force found themselves caught in the crossfire in the middle of the field where they had been fighting that morning, but Grant kept his cool and unhitched his cannons. They overwhelmed Marks' men with grapeshot, allowing the 31th Illinois Regiment to open a route to the rear. Closely followed by the Confederates, the northern troops managed to re-embark without too much difficulty thanks to the fire of their gunboats, just before nightfall. The two camps had lost, in total, about 600 men each.

The northern general was to draw fruitful lessons from this minor engagement, as he would recall later in his memoirs. Personally in danger on several occasions, he showed undeniable physical courage and, above all, the relentless - and at times ruthless - will that would animate him for the remainder of the conflict. He also learned what mistakes he should not make if he wanted to keep his men in hand and not see them lose momentum after an initial success. In addition, Grant discovered much about himself, but also about his enemies, taking a trust in him which would prove to be instrumental in his future success.

The withdrawal and re-embarkation of the Northerners. Same map as above, author's notes.

The Battle of Belmont, despite its foundational character for Ulysses Grant and his soldiers, had been a skirmish devoid of war-scale strategic significance. Other much larger operations would follow, although their results were bound to be surprising even to those who undertook them. Applying the lessons learned to Belmont, Grant would go on a half-hearted offensivea decisive victory for the Union.

Halleck's reluctance

In early 1862, Northern President Abraham Lincoln grew impatient. In the preceding months, the strength of his armies had increased considerably, a huge effort to equip himself, and the men were now much better trained than they had been in the previous summer. Despite this, none of the main Northern generals launched a serious offensive. Concerned about the political fallout of their inaction, Lincoln urged them toa general offensive for February 22, birthday of George Washington, the first President of the United States.

Already naturally timid, General Halleck, who commanded the Missouri military department, had to contend with other factors. The first wasthe lack of unified command in the West. Three distinct departments were to coordinate their efforts there: in addition to Missouri, there was also that of Kansas, rather minor (it covered operations in New Mexico and the Indian Territory) and the Department of Ohio, whose troops were concentrated in eastern Kentucky. Halleck, for his part, had to manage a vast and difficult territory. His forces were to ensure the security of Missouri, a state already in the grip of pro-Southern guerrillas. Those left available to this task were two armies far apart, that of Samuel Curtis in southwestern Missouri, and that of Grant in southern Illinois.

The latter, emboldened by his semi-success of Belmont, had repeatedly, in the following weeks, asked Halleck for permission to go on the attack. His idea was to go up the Tennessee River to attackFort Henry, which the Confederates had built to control its course. Unfortunately for him, his boss didn't trust him because of his stubborn reputation as an alcoholic. To make matters worse, Halleck couldn't agree on a common strategy with his Ohio Department counterpart, Don Carlos Buell. He had made only limited headway in Kentucky, one of which led to the small victory at Mill Springs.

Despite all his faults, not least of which was his inability to maintain good relations with his subordinates, Halleck was nonetheless very attached to military propriety. Once he was ordered by Lincoln to go on the offensive, he did so - unlike a McClellan, for example. He finally allowed Grant to move against Fort Henry. In Halleck's mind, it could only bea limited operation having essentially a diversionary value. Grant, in fact, had only 20,000 men, compared to Buell's 56,000. It was therefore understood that the main offensive would be the work of the latter.

The clash of two strategies

Lincoln himself relied heavily on Buell as well, but to understand that you have to go back a few months. When the first Southern states followed South Carolina's footsteps and seceded in January 1861, Tennessee narrowly rejected this option in a popular referendum.The state was shared geographically: the plains of the west, favorable to the exploitation of tobacco and cotton, supported secession while the east, very mountainous and where slavery was little practiced, remained faithful to the Union. The center remained undecided until civil war broke out. The influence of Governor Isham Harris was then decisive: central Tennessee fell into the camp of secession, and the latter was approved by a new referendum on June 8, 1861.

Like their counterparts in West Virginia, the Unionists in eastern Tennessee attempted to oppose secession by forming their own state, adding a few counties in northeastern Alabama. They did not have the same success, however, with the Confederate army quickly taking control of an area otherwise too far from the northern states to hope for military aid from them. However, these regions remainedcenters of support for the cause of the Union, and its occupation would become one of Abraham Lincoln’s major obsessions for the next two years. The offensive Lincoln demanded of Buell was directed towards this objective - a target whose value was far more political than military or strategic.

Eastern Tennessee wasenclaveby the rugged mountains that bordered the high valleys of the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers. From Kentucky, the most direct access was the Cumberland Lock, a narrow and easily defended passage that Buell was unwilling to attack head-on. It was easier to go further south, through ChattanoogaviaNashville, but that required a storming of the main Confederate positions around Bowling Green first. As a result, Buell remained cautious and confined himself to a few demonstrations during the first weeks of 1862.

For their part, the Confederates had the advantage of having a unified command for the entire West. This "military department number two", as it was tentatively designated, had been entrusted toAlbert Sidney Johnston. The latter was not related to Joseph Eggleston Johnston, who commanded the Southern forces in Virginia. A career military man, A.S. Johnston was appointed head of the Federal Army’s Pacific Military Department shortly before the war. Born in Kentucky but a Texan by adoption, he sided with the Texas camp when it seceded. His reputation was that of a promising officer, and Southern President Jefferson Davis held him in high regard.

In accordance with the strategy developed by Davis, Johnston had arranged his troops to defend the northern border of Tennessee along its entire length. Consequently,his troops were very stretched. Polk in Columbus now had 12,000 men. Fort Henry had a garrison of 3,000 soldiers under Lloyd Tilghman, while 2,000 more occupied Fort Donelson, a few miles away on the Cumberland. William Hardee commanded the main Confederate force in southern Kentucky - 22,000 men based at Bowling Green - and Carter Stevenson had at least three brigades to defend the Cumberland Lock.

Deployment of armies to Kentucky in early 1862.The red line materializes the Confederate defense strategy. Map annotated by the author from an original in the Perry-Castaneda map library.

Underestimated waterways

A.S. Johnston was joined with Pierre Beauregard, the winner of Fort Sumter and Bull Run, whom President Davis disliked and was especially keen to get out of Richmond. By the start of 1862, neither he nor the other generals holding higher commands in the West had properly assessed the real value ofWaterways in future operations. Both were especially preoccupied with controlling the railways, which were considered more suitable for supplying a large army.

In the West, the only continuous rail axis (if we disregard the differences in gauge) oriented in the north-south direction precisely linked Louisville, in northern Kentucky, to Nashville, the capital of Tennessee, and passed through by Bowling Green - which explains why the Southerners chose to defend this city as a priority. This was all the more necessary as Nashville, with its large arsenal, was one of the fewindustrial centers from South. From it emanated a relatively dense rail network providing access to the states of Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia.

In terms of waterways, only the Mississippi was considered a major axis of penetration in the southern strategy and as such, it had beenmightily fortified. Tennessee and Cumberland, for their part, had been regarded as secondary - hence the weak garrison assigned to forts Henry and Donelson. In accordance with the military thinking of the time and despite the successes obtained by the Union Navy against the forts of Hatteras Pass or those of Port Royal Bay, the fortifications and their guns were still considered superior to a fleet. .

The only one who seemed to place more importance on rivers was Ulysses Grant, which was indeed going to be successful for him. Yet this does not necessarily have to be seen as the fruit of long-term strategic foresight: at the time, Grant had no idea how decisive the capture of forts Henry and Donelson would be. The operation for which he finally obtained Halleck's permission was to remain limited, and the two forts presented an easier target than Columbus - the Battle of Belmont had shown that. On the other hand, it is certain that Grant's experience at Belmont had shown him all the advantages ofa combined operation by river, something the other generals could not conceive of, having experienced it themselves. Grant was well assisted in his task by the Federal Navy. As early as May 1861, a "Western gunboat flotilla » (Western gunboat flotilla). This unit was under the operational control of the Federal Army, but it was served by sailors and supervised by U.S. officers. Navy.

In February 1862, she was commanded by Andrew Foote. Besides the transport ships, it included two types of combat vessels. The first ones (timberclads) were civilian ships modified to receive cannons and thick wooden guards, while the following ones (ironclads) received real iron armor, although not very thick. This was, however, sufficient to enable them to hold their own against the artillery of the southern forts. These ships delivered several non-decisive engagements to the Confederate gunboats during the winter of 1861-62, and their firepower would prove invaluable in the campaign to come.

On January 30, 1862, General Halleck authorized General Grant to carry out the operation he was preparing againstFort Henry. Commodore Foote's flotilla was already ready and set sail from Cairo on February 2. The Northerner attack was slated to be small, a first step towards further advances. In short, Grant was thinking of digging the first step of a staircase that would allow him to access the heart of Confederation when in reality he was about to break down the door.

Forces involved

From secession, Tennessee had undertaken to buildfortificationsto protect its borders. Built of dirt on the right bank of the Tennessee River, Fort Henry was flanked by another smaller settlement on the opposite bank, Fort Heiman. Both had been left behind in favor of Columbus, whose defense was seen as a priority. By early February 1862, Brigadier-General Lloyd Tilghman's approximately 3,000 men had only 17 heavy guns at their disposal in Fort Henry.

This was not the only problem the southern commander faced. Fort Henry had been the subject of a choice of location fromthe most inept throughout the history of military engineering. The location had been selected by Daniel Donelson, then Tennessee Minister of Justice, whose military experience was limited to a brief career as an officer in the Federal Army 35 years earlier. He chose a position to build the fort that offered a clear range of fire down the river, but was overlooked by the surrounding hills.

Worse, the site of the fort had been designated in June, when the waters of the Tennessee were still relatively low, and Donelson had completely ignored the winter flooding. So much so that in February 1862, Fort Henry was largelyflooded: the main powder magazine was under water and half of the cannons were unusable. One of the fort's rare defensive assets was the then new use of "torpedoes": barrels filled with gunpowder anchored below the level of the river and armed to explode on contact with a ship - in in other words, a minefield.

In response, General Grant had brought in 17,000 men in two rotations because he did not have enough transport ships. These forces were organized into two divisions commanded by McClernand and C. Ferguson Smith. The first was landed on the right bank to attack Fort Henry directly, while the second, on the left bank, would simultaneously assault Fort Heiman. The landings took place on February 4 and 5 about 3 miles north of Fort Henry, after which Grant sent his flotilla of gunboats to carry outa preliminary bombardment.

The commodoreFootehad at its disposal seven armed ships in all. Three weretimberclads: to theTylerand theLexington already engaged in Belmont was added the USSConestoga. These three ships formed a separate division led by Lieutenant-Commander Seth Phelps. Foote, meanwhile, directly commanded the fourironclads, of which three (USSCincinnati, USSCarondeletand USSSt. Louis) were built specifically for this purpose. The fourth, the USSEssex, was a former civilian vessel armed and summarily armored.

An unequal struggle

Tilghman, warned from the outset of Grant's landings, immediately understood that his situation was hopeless. On February 4, he evacuated Fort Heiman. The next day he sent most of the garrison at Fort Henry to join Fort Donelson, about twenty kilometers to the east. He only kept with hima hundred men to serve the nine cannons still in working order in Fort Henry and hold out for as long as its precarious position would allow.

The Union gunboats mainly had to fight againststrong currents generated by the flood. The torpedoes that the Confederates had placed in the middle of Tennessee were ineffective: most of them had not been sealed sufficiently and had taken in water, rendering the explosives they contained inoperative. In addition, most of them had been washed away by the current, and those that might still have been functional drifted past the Northern flotilla without causing damage.

On February 6, Foote approached Fort Henry and opened fire. He had left behind thetimberclads, moins protégés, si bien que ce furent les ironclads qui subirent le plus gros de la riposte sudiste. Celle-ci, au demeurant, fut pratiquement sans effet. Conçus par un ingénieur de St-Louis, James Eads, les ironclads nordistes présentaient des flancs inclinés sur lesquels les projectiles confédérés ricochaient sans pénétrer. Leur pont, en revanche, n’était pas blindé, mais il aurait fallu pour les atteindre que les canons sudistes fussent situés en hauteur ; or, le fort Henry était – ô combien ! – au ras de l’eau. Seul l’Essexfit les frais de son blindage plus léger : un boulet transperça sa chaudière principale, ébouillantant 28 membres d’équipage dont 5 mortellement. Privée de vapeur, l’Essexse mit à dériver et quitta le combat.

Malgré ce coup au but, la lutte demeura inégale pour les artilleurs sudistes. Au bout d’une heure, cinq de leurs canons avaient été réduits au silence et les stocks de munitions accessibles baissaient dangereusement. Tilghman estima que l’honneur de la Confédération avait été défendu suffisamment longtemps et offrit sa reddition à Foote. Le fort était à ce point inondé que l’embarcation que Foote envoya récupérer Tilghman put y pénétrer en passant par la porte principale. Le fort Henry tomba ainsi entre les mains nordistes avant même que l’infanterie de Grant ne put s’en approcher.

Des conséquences inattendues

Grant télégraphia aussitôt la nouvelle à Halleck, ajoutant qu’il se disposait à marcher immédiatement sur le fort Donelson et à s’en emparer le surlendemain. Il dût vite se raviser, car les fortes pluies des jours précédents avaient transformé en fondrières des routes déjà très médiocres à la base. Il jugea plus prudent de regrouper et renforcer son armée avant d’aller plus avant. Initialement réticent, son supérieur finit par comprendre l’intérêt stratégique de la situation et lui expédia une division de réserve, aux ordres de Lew Wallace, qui porta les effectifs de « l’armée du district de Cairo » à un peu moins de 25.000 hommes.

Le commodore Foote avait lui aussi réalisé que la chute du fort Henry ouvrait à ses canonnières une autoroute, tout anachronisme mis à part, vers le Sud profond. Dès le 7 février, il chargea Phelps de remonter le cours de la Tennessee pour tester la résistance des Sudistes. Celle-ci fut pratiquement nulle : la chute rapide du fort Henry avait persuadé bon nombre de généraux confédérés que les canonnières de l’Union étaient invincibles. Le positionnement inepte du fort et le fait qu’il fût pratiquement sous les eaux ne furent pas pris en compte. Thetimberclads de Phelps remontèrent la Tennessee jusqu’à Muscle Shoals, point au-delà duquel la rivière cessait d’être navigable, et brûlèrent ou capturèrent de nombreux navires de transport sudistes. Phelps commit toutefois une grave erreur en accédant à la demande des habitants de Florence, dans l’Alabama, de ne pas brûler le pont de chemin de fer qui s’y trouvait. Ce pont allait jouer un rôle décisif dans les mouvements de troupes préliminaires à la bataille de Shiloh, en avril suivant.

Dans le camp confédéré, on réalisa aussitôt à quel point la situation était sérieuse. A.S. Johnston estima dès le lendemain de la chute du fort Henry que le fort Donelson tomberait tout aussi facilement, ouvrant aux Nordistes la route de Nashville et menaçant d’encerclement le gros de ses troupes déployées dans le Kentucky. Il ordonna à Hardee de quitter Bowling Green et de se replier sur Nashville. La perte du fort Henry démontrait surtout l’échec de la stratégie confédérée : dépourvue de profondeur stratégique, la ligne de défense des Sudistes était condamnée dès lors qu’un de ses maillons avait sauté.

Johnston convint malgré tout qu’il était nécessaire de défendre autant que possible le fort Donelson pour donner aux troupes sudistes le temps de se regrouper à Nashville et d’y organiser leurs défenses. Il dépêcha sur place 12.000 hommes, soit deux divisions aux ordres de Simon Buckner et Gideon Pillow. Ces renforts étaient placés sous le commandement de John Floyd, l’ancien secrétaire à la Guerre sous la présidence de James Buchanan, récemment transféré de Virginie occidentale. Avec les forces déjà présentes et celles ramenées du fort Henry, la garnison du fort Donelson s’élevait en tout à 16.000 soldats.

Carte montrant l'attaque du fort Henry et la marche des Nordistes vers le fort Donelson (copyright Hal Jespersen via Creative Commons).

Le 12 février 1862, l’armée du général Grant quitta le fort Henry vers l’est, et marcha sur le fort Donelson. Grant laissait en réserve derrière lui la division de Lew Wallace, encore incomplète, et que devait renforcer une brigade empruntée au département de l’Ohio. Avocat dans le civil, Lew Wallace était également écrivain à ses heures perdues ; il écrirait en 1880 le roman Ben Hur, un best-seller adapté plusieurs fois au cinéma par la suite. De son côté, le capitaine Phelps avait ramené ses trois timberclads après trois jours de raid en amont de la rivière Tennessee.

Une cible plus coriace

La flottille de l’Union avait perdu l’Essex, privée de chaudière après le bombardement du fort Henry, et la Cincinnati légèrement touchée. Mais elle avait reçu le renfort de deux autres canonnières cuirassées, elles aussi construites à St-Louis par James Eads, l’USS Louisville et l’USS Pittsburgh. La force ainsi reconstituée descendit la Tennessee jusqu’à son confluent, remonta brièvement le cours de l’Ohio avant d’obliquer pour rejoindrela Cumberland et se diriger vers le fort Donelson. En 1862, la Cumberland se jetait directement dans l’Ohio, contrairement à son cours actuel, qui conflue d’abord avec la Tennessee.

Situé dans le voisinage immédiat de la petite ville de Dover, le fort Donelson était autrement plus redoutable que le fort Henry. Dressé sur une petite butte surplombant la Cumberland d’une trentaine de mètres, il était à l’abri des inondations. La dotation en artillerie était également bien meilleure, puisqu’on en comptait une soixantaine de pièces. Le fort lui-même étant bien trop exigu pour contenir 16.000 soldats, les hommes de Floyd avaient entrepris sitôt arrivés d’établir une ligne de défense extérieure d’environ quatre kilomètres serpentant à travers un paysage boisé et vallonné. La droite de la position est garantie par une rivière, la Hickman Creek, le centre court le long des crêtes, la gauche est couverte par un petit ruisseau, et les arrières sont solidement tenus par le fort Donelson.

C’est une bonne position défensive, mais non exempte de défauts. Les soldats qui l’occupent sont encore, pour beaucoup, armés de vieux mousquets à silex sensibles à l’humidité. De surcroît, l’aile gauche confédérée fait face à une ligne de crête qui, une fois tenue par les Nordistes, leur permettrait de couper la seule voie acceptable de retraite par la terre. Enfin, le moindre de ces points négatifs n’est certainement pas le commandement. L’incurie notoire de Pillow s’était déjà exprimée quinze ans plus tôt au Mexique, et plus récemment à Belmont. Floyd était un homme politique dépourvu de talent militaire. Quant à Buckner, son moral était au plus bas, car il tenait la défense pour un sacrifice inutile dépourvu d’échappatoire. Initialement, c’était Beauregard qui devait commander cette force mais, malade, il s’était fait poliment excuser.

Une brigade de cavalerie ad hoc avait été déployée au contact des éléments avancés nordistes, et confiée à un lieutenant-colonel de 41 ans, Nathan Bedford Forrest. Ce Tennesséen originaire de Memphis était pour ainsi dire l’antithèse de l’idée qu’on pouvait se faire du « gentleman sudiste ». D’extraction modeste, il n’appartenait en rien à cette aristocratie terrienne qui régnait sur les plantations de coton et de tabac. Mais il était doué pour les affaires, et avait réussi, avant guerre, à amasser une fortune colossale grâce à diverses entreprises, y compris un fructueux commerce d’esclaves. Millionnaire en dollars, Forrest pouvait se vanter d’être encore plus riche que Leonidas Polk – en fait, il était probablement l’un des individus les plus riches de tout le Sud.

Forrest était aussi connu pour ses aptitudes physiques, qui servaient à merveille un tempérament agressif et, à l’occasion, un sens de l’honneur assez chatouilleux. Avec 1,88 m pour 95 kilos, il était largement au-dessus du gabarit moyen de l’époque et de l’aveu de ses contemporains, c’était un excellent escrimeur doublé d’un cavalier hors pair. Le fait qu’il ait survécu à de nombreux combats et blessures a largement alimenté son image, encore populaire aujourd’hui, de héros légendaire de la cause sudiste. Une légende oscillant entre dorure et noirceur, notamment à cause de sa participation controversée à un massacre de prisonniers noirs au fort Pillow en 1864. Et Forrest joua un rôle incontestable dans le succès, après la guerre, de la première incarnation du Ku Klux Klan.

Placé à la tête d’un régiment de cavalerie qu’il avait recruté et équipé à ses frais, il démontra bientôt des aptitudes au commandement suffisamment notables, en dépit de son absence totale de formation militaire, pour gravir les premiers échelons de la hiérarchie. Il allait en monter d’autres encore, mais pour l’heure, il ne put guère que retarder de peu la progression de l’armée de Grant. À la fin de la journée du 12 février, les Nordistes étaient au contact de la principale ligne confédérée. Ils déployèrent la division C.F. Smith à gauche, et la division McClernand à droite.

Une citadelle assiégée

Grant entendait bien attendre l’arrivée de la division de Lew Wallace pour l’insérer au centre de son dispositif. Celle-ci n’était pas encore au complet, une de ses brigades devant arriver par voie fluviale. Le général nordiste donna des ordres pour éviter de lancer des attaques irréfléchies mais dès la matinée du 13, il fut confronté à l’impatience de ses subordonnés : Smith et McClernand lancèrent chacun de leur côté des attaques limitées. Quant à Foote, pas encore arrivé avec ses canonnières, il fit tester vers 11 heures les canons du fort Donelson par un élément avancé de sa flotille, l’USS Carondelet.

Si Smith, tout proche du QG de Grant, se contenta d’une brève démonstration avant de faire ouvrir le feu sporadiquement à ses canons et de faire avancer tireurs isolés et lignes de tirailleurs, McClernand en fit davantage. Déployant ses troupes, il s’aperçut que la longueur des lignes confédérées l’obligerait à étirer dangereusement les siennes s’il voulait couper à l’ennemi toute retraite. Il fut également pris à partie par l’artillerie que les Confédérés avaient placée sur une position avancée, en hauteur, au centre de leur ligne. Confiant, McClernand chargea la brigade de William Morrison de s’en emparer, et la fit renforcer par un régiment de la brigade de William H. L. Wallace – un homonyme dépourvu de parenté avec Lew Wallace.

Bientôt pilonnés par une seconde batterie confédérée, les Nordistes n’en montèrent pas moins à l’assaut. Parvenus tout près de la position ennemie, ils furent repoussés par la brigade sudiste d’Adolphus Heiman, dont le soutien aux artilleurs avait été sous-estimé. Le colonel Morrison fut blessé, mais ses hommes renouvelèrent leur attaque, sans succès, une première fois puis une seconde. Ce n’est que lorsque les feuilles mortes et les buissons prirent feu que la brigade, désormais aux ordres du colonel Leonard Ross, abandonna son attaque. Les infortunés blessés qui n’avaient pu s’extraire du brasier périrent carbonisés. En tout, environ 150 Nordistes furent tués ou blessés pour un résultat nul.

Ayant enfin reçu les renforts tant attendus, Grant put détacher la brigade de John McArthur de la division Smith pour donner un peu de profondeur au dispositif de McClernand. Son armée était fin prête : il n’y avait plus qu’à attendre que la flottille de canonnières, qui avait fait merveille au fort Henry, n’entre en jeu. Dans l’intervalle, les troupes de deux camps vécurent un enfer malgré l’absence de combats d’envergure. Des tirs sporadiques continuèrent durant toute la journée du 13 février et la nuit suivante. Allumer un feu pour faire la cuisine exposait à devenir la cible des tireurs d’élite.

Pour ne rien arranger, les conditions météorologiques se dégradèrent subitement. Un vent glacial se leva à la tombée de la nuit et les températures, jusque-là anormalement élevées et quasi printanières, chutèrent largement en-dessous de zéro. Il neigea une bonne partie de la nuit. De nombreux soldats avaient commis l’erreur de laisser en arrière leurs couvertures et leurs manteaux… Ceux qui n’allaient pas mourir de pneumonie les semaines suivantes allaient retenir la leçon. Quant aux blessés, après les flammes, ils devaient à présent faire face à l’hypothermie.

Le lendemain, ayant couvert le débarquement des renforts à présent terminé, Foote se trouvait disponible avec ses canonnières. Il attaqua à 15 heures. Comme au fort Henry, il déploya ses quatre ironclads en ligne et laissa les trois timberclads en réserve. Tirant avec la même intensité que huit jours plus tôt, les canonnières nordistes causèrent des dégâts significatifs au fort Donelson. Ce dernier, néanmoins, avait du répondant. Sa position en hauteur permettait à ses canons de pratiquer un tir plongeant contre les navires nordistes, qui s’étaient rapprochés dangereusement – à 350 mètres seulement de leur cible.

Ainsi placés, les artilleurs confédérés pouvaient atteindre le pont des canonnières qui, contrairement à leurs flancs inclinés, n’était pas blindé. Cet avantage finit par payer. Un boulet pénétra par le toit dans la passerelle de l’USS St. Louis et emporta la roue du gouvernail, tuant au passage le timonier et manquant de peu le commodore Foote qui fut blessé par des éclats de bois – ironiquement, au pied. Incontrôlable, la St. Louis ne put être dirigée pour faire face au courant et se mit à dériver. La Louisville eut également sa direction endommagée et subit le même sort. Les deux canonnières fédérales survivantes se retirèrent pour couvrir les autres, et le bombardement du fort Donelson par la flottille fluviale s’arrêta là.

Espoir de sortie

Ce succès remonta le moral des défenseurs sudistes… mais pas celui de leurs généraux. Floyd réunit ses subordonnés durant la nuit du 14 au 15 février à son quartier général, l’unique hôtel de la ville de Dover. Tous furent unanimes : le fort Donelson était intenable. Il fallait tenter une sortie. La retraite de Foote laissait ouverte la voie fluviale vers Nashville, mais il n’y avait pas assez de bateaux pour évacuer toute la garnison. Il faudrait donc attaquer dans la seule direction possible par voie de terre : vers l’est, sur la route menant à Charlotte.

Pour ce faire, Floyd réorganisa complètement ses forces. Pillow, avec cinq brigades, et couvert sur son flanc gauche par les cavaliers de Forrest, aurait pour tâche d’effectuer la percée principale en attaquant la division nordiste de McClernand. Quant à Buckner, il devrait mener ses deux brigades dans une attaque de soutien contre le centre fédéral, avec l’appui de la brigade Heiman, dans le but d’empêcher Grant d’envoyer des renforts à McClernand. Ce plan était audacieux car ce faisant, les Confédérés ne laissaient sur leur flanc droit qu’un unique régiment pour occuper les défenses extérieures, et la brigade de John Head pour tenir le fort Donelson proprement dit.

Avant l’aube, le 15 février 1862, les soldats sudistes reçurent des vivres pour trois jours. Les Fédéraux, pour leur part, étaient restés passifs. Grant avait quitté le champ de bataille pour conférer avec Foote de la stratégie à suivre après l’échec des canonnières, à une dizaine de kilomètres de son quartier général. Lancée au lever du soleil, l’attaque confédérée prit les Nordistes au dépourvu. Non seulement leur chef n’était pas là pour y faire face, mais les guetteurs fédéraux, sans doute trop occupés à lutter contre le froid, n’avaient rien remarqué du redéploiement des Confédérés. Pour ne rien arranger, Grant n’entendit pas le bruit du combat, et ne regagna son QG que lorsqu’un messager vint le prévenir. Cette absence momentanée allait manquer, ultérieurement, de lui coûter sa carrière.

L’attaque confédérée porta en premier lieu contre la brigade nordiste du colonel Oglesby. La brigade McArthur se porta à son secours mais, mal déployée, elle fut de peu d’efficacité. Les deux unités résistèrent malgré tout pendant deux heures, notamment grâce au soutien de W.H.L. Wallace. Ce dernier put intervenir parce que Buckner était, contrairement au plan initialement prévu, resté l’arme au pied. Il ne se mit en marche que lorsque Pillow le somma de le faire, mais son attaque accrut encore la pression déjà grande exercée sur les Nordistes. Forrest se montra décisif, manœuvrant à cheval pour flanquer à plusieurs reprises les Fédéraux avant de les attaquer à pied. Ces facteurs, combinés à l’épuisement progressif des munitions des Nordistes, finirent par obliger les hommes de McClernand à reculer.

Les combats de la matinée du 15 février : les Sudistes enfoncent la division McClernand, qui se rétablit grâce à l'aide de la division Wallace et de la brigade M.L. Smith (copyright Hal Jespersen via Creative Commons).

Leur retraite manqua de peu de se transformer en déroute, mais en l’absence de Grant, McClernand réussit à persuader Lew Wallace de venir à son aide. Ses deux brigades parvinrent à rétablir une ligne de défense que Buckner assaillit à trois reprises, sans succès. Vers 12h30, la progression des Confédérés était stoppée. Malgré cela, leur succès était incontestable : ils étaient maîtres des hauteurs qui commandaient la route de Charlotte et par conséquent, la voie du salut leur était essentiellement assurée.

De la victoire à la capitulation

Environ une heure plus tard Gideon Pillow fit la démonstration définitive de son incompétence : estimant que l’armée ennemie était vaincue pour de bon, il ordonna à ses forces de regagner leurs positions de départ pour se ravitailler en munitions. Stupéfié, Floyd perdit alors son sang froid et ordonna à Buckner de se replacer avec ses hommes sur la droite du périmètre défensif sudiste, ne laissant sur la colline chèrement acquise le matin même qu’un mince rideau de troupes pour garder ouverte la route de Charlotte.

Grant, pour sa part, était enfin arrivé sur le champ de bataille, vers 13 heures. Sans se départir de son calme habituel, il prit aussitôt des mesures énergiques. Il ordonna à Foote d’envoyer ceux de ses navires encore en état de marche effectuer une prudente démonstration contre le fort Donelson afin de soutenir le moral vacillant de ses soldats. Il fit renforcer la division Wallace par la brigade Ross et deux régiments de la division C.F. Smith, le tout confié à son homonyme Morgan L. Smith. Lew Wallace reçut pour mission de reprendre le terrain perdu sur la droite, tandis que C.F. Smith se vit chargé de lancer une attaque de diversion sur la gauche.

Cette dernière réussit au-delà de toute espérance : le 30th régiment du Tennessee, unique force confédérée tenant l’enceinte extérieure, ne put tenir très longtemps malgré le soutien des canons du fort. Ramenant ses troupes de l’aile gauche confédérée, Buckner tenta sans succès de reprendre ses ouvrages à C.F. Sur la droite nordiste, Lew Wallace ne tarda pas à être victorieux lui aussi. La brigade de M.L. Smith progressa rapidement, par bonds, en se couchant entre deux mouvements pour se mettre à couvert. Lew Wallace laissera de leur chef en action cette description pittoresque : « Le cigare du colonel Smith fut emporté [par une balle] tout près de ses lèvres. Il en prit un autre et réclama une allumette. Un soldat accourut et lui en donna une. « Merci. Reprenez votre place, à présent. Nous sommes presque en haut » répondit-il et, tout en fumant, il éperonna son cheval. »

La contre-attaque nordiste dans l'après-midi du 15 février : les Fédéraux reprennent le terrain perdu après le retrait des Sudistes. Simultanément, la division C.F. Smith perce les défenses extérieures des Confédérés (copyright Hal Jespersen via Creative Commons).

Au soir du 15 février, la retraite que les Confédérés s’étaient ouverte était désormais refermée, même si, dans les faits, la division de Lew Wallace était trop étirée pour couper efficacement la route de Charlotte. Peu importait : les Sudistes avaient laissé passer leur chance. Leurs généraux tinrent de nouveau conseil à l’hôtel de Dover. La situation militaire était précaire : toute la droite des défenses extérieures était enfoncée. Estimant que toute résistance supplémentaire causerait des pertes terribles et inutiles, Floyd et son état-major estimèrent qu’il n’y avait plus qu’à capituler. Triste fin pour une armée qui, quelques heures plus tôt, avait son salut bien en main.

Mais les avanies infligées aux troupes sudistes par leurs chefs ne s’arrêtèrent pas là. Floyd, accusé d’avoir délibérément fait transférer du matériel dans le Sud durant les mois précédant la guerre pour que les rebelles s’en emparent plus facilement, faisait l’objet d’une inculpation dans le Nord. Craignant d’être pendu s’il était capturé, il décida de s’éclipser en emmenant avec lui les régiments qu’il avait amenés de Virginie. Il embarqua sur deux transports avec environ 1.500 hommes et remit le commandement à Pillow. Celui-ci, redoutant un sort similaire à celui que craignait Floyd, profita de la nuit pour traverser la Cumberland sur une petite embarcation. À l’incompétence, l’un et l’autre avaient ajouté la couardise…

Buckner, défaitiste, hérita du commandement. Forrest sollicita de son supérieur l’autorisation de quitter la place avec ses cavaliers, et l’obtint. Il franchit les lignes adverses sans grande difficulté, avec 700 hommes. Grant, de son côté, avait prévu un assaut général pour le 16 février à l’aube, mais Buckner le devança en demandant à négocier les conditions de sa reddition. Les deux hommes se connaissaient bien : ils avaient servi ensemble dans l’armée fédérale, et Buckner avait même prêté de l’argent à Grant pour que celui-ci puisse regagner l’Illinois lorsqu’il avait démissionné. Le général sudiste s’attendait donc à se voir offrir des termes magnanimes.

Il n’en fut rien. Pour toute réponse, Grant lui écrivit : « Votre pli de ce jour, proposant un armistice et la nomination de commissaires pour définir les termes d’une capitulation, a bien été reçu. Aucun terme autre qu’une reddition inconditionnelle et immédiate ne peut être accepté. Je propose de m’installer immédiatement dans vos ouvrages. » Lorsqu’elle fut connue de la presse après la bataille, cette courte missive souleva l’admiration de tout le Nord, le public applaudissant à la fermeté de son auteur. Le général nordiste devait gagner là un surnom, basé sur ses initiales,Unconditional Surrender (« reddition inconditionnelle ») Grant. Buckner accepta de mauvaise grâce, car il n’avait guère le choix.

En tout, la chute du fort Donelson avait coûté à la Confédération près de 14.000 hommes, dont environ 12.500 prisonniers. L’Union, pour sa part, avait perdu 2.700 soldats, dont 500 tués. Les nombreux prisonniers sudistes prirent le chemin des premiers camps établis à leur intention dans le Nord, notamment autour de Chicago. Ils firent l’objet, par la suite, d’échanges contre des prisonniers nordistes – y compris Buckner, échangé en août.

Le reste de l’armée sudiste d’A.S. Johnston avait pu rejoindre Nashville, mais la ville était à présent indéfendable. Les Confédérés l’évacuèrent une semaine plus tard, le 23 février. Deux jours après, les navires de Foote firent leur jonction avec les soldats de Buell, qui avançaient enfin depuis le nord, et occupèrent la ville. La perte de ce nœud ferroviaire impliquait aussi l’isolement de Columbus, qu’il n’était plus possible de renforcer rapidement, et la position fortifiée fut évacuée à son tour, le 2 mars. Vaincu, mais non abattu, A.S. Johnston regroupa ses forces à Corinth, une petite bourgade du nord-est de l’État du Mississippi, et attendit les renforts qu’il avait demandés au président Davis. Le Tennessee central, lui, passait sous la coupe de l’Union.

Video: Battle of Fort Donelson -. Civil War - Feb 11, 1862 Feb 16, 1862 (January 2022).